Saturday 1 August 2015

Tribute to Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam by Sonal Mansingh Ji - "Guiding me on path of uncompromising values"


Picture - Wikipedia

Guiding on path of uncompromising values:

Dr APJ Abdul Kalam touched the heart and soul of India. As the news about his demise reached the Nation, an outpouring of love, and then the soulful tributes flowed. 

As classical dancers too reacted with sadness and shared their love for the great man.. the messages continued with the dancers sharing pictures with Kalam ji. One would think how one noble human being can touch so many people's lives.. personally. 

Having reached the peak, President of India, it was quite natural to be known to the world, but to have met so many people like you and me.. that's the power of his simplicity, concern to the fellow Indians. 

Even as pictures of many common people with him keep appearing on my social network sites, I set out to note what the classical dancers expressed and I am happy to publish the notes of our dear Sonal Mansinghji's note. Thank you mam

Tribute to Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam by Sonal Mansingh Ji
I called on him soon after NDA Govt. nominated him as their Presidential Candidate. He was staying in a PSU Guest-House in ASIAD village. I was wearing white Mundu of Kerala. He came out to greet me with folded hands as was his habit and exclaimed “Aha, Goddess Saraswati has come to bless me.” I was taken aback delighted and surprised to experience such simple genuine warmth. Meeting him on occasions at Rashtrapati Bhavan during state Banquets or book-release functions he would make it a point to converse.

Later when he selected me to be his appointee as Chairman of Sangeet Natak Akademi he chuckled and said, “ Sonaal jee, I consulted my scientist and artist friends. Everyone took your name so I had no choice ” ! His humour was simple and spontaneous. 

I met him on occasions and each time he was warm and full of ‘Ananda’. As many others  did. I was invited at Rashtrapati Bhavan on stage created by me for another President Shri. R. Venkatraman in mid ’80s. I feel deeply honoured to find my name mentioned by Dr. Kalam in his account of who all met him initially and attended his Swearing-in-Ceremony as 11th President of India. 

When I heard about President’s visit to Surat in Gujarat I called on him with my letter requesting him to visit RITAMBHARA, a full-fledged school for only tribal girls of Dangs District of Gujarat with full lodging-board, academic facilities founded by my mother Smt. Purnima Pakvasa in 1974 in a tiny village Saputara. I was gratified to hear from his Principal Secy. P.M. Nair that they had included visit to Saputara and so that Prez took Helicopter from Surat for 3 hour visit to Mother’s Gurukul on 15th Oct, 2004. 

As it happened to be his birthday Mother prepared Cake from Suji Halwa with candles. Dr. Kalam spent time talking, inter-acting and sharing his wisdom with 850 girls and 50 strong faculty as also full staff of Kitchen, gaushaala, Trustees, our extended family who had gathered from the Dangs. 

Better news was in store for us when my Mother was honoured with Padma Bhushan in January 2005!

*Note- Sonalji recollects and narrates how his graciousness and concern for the smallest nuance in life... touched her heart post her assuming office as Chairman and later at the time of her vacating the office.

I met him on occasions and each time he was warm and full of ‘Ananda’. As many others did. I was invited at Rashtrapati Bhavan on stage created by me for another President Shri. R. Venkatraman in mid ’80s. I feel deeply honoured to find my name mentioned by Dr. Kalam in his account of who all met him initially and attended his Swearing-in-Ceremony as 11th President of India. 

Any number of words and adjectives will not be able to describe his persona, the totality of the rare human being  he was. He was AJATASHATRU, one who had no enemies. He will always remain in my thoughts and heart guiding me on path of uncompromising values.








Picture - Wikipedia Thank you Mam for sharing the note:





sonal mansingh, tribute, dr apj abdul kalam, (C), aug2015,do not copy, copyrights acknowledged

No comments:

Post a Comment